Friday, January 3, 2014

SMACK! Review: Big Blink Mascara by Pur Minerals

Our first product review of 2014!

I love mascara. My ophthalmologist hates that I love mascara. Something about eye infections, which, now that I think about it, might explain all those times I had pink eye back in undergrad. 

For most of my 20s I absolutely loved Max Factor's 2000 Calorie mascara, in a great Deep Auburn shade, and also a briefly-available Dark Navy that was really subtle but super awesome when someone would catch the color in just the right light and stop me to ask if I was really wearing blue mascara? True story.

Fast forward many years, many tubes of mascara, and for sh*ts and giggles we'll throw in eight rounds of chemo. No hair = no eyelashes. That was difficult. I mean, anyone can make do with a wig but falsies don't really work when there's nothing keeping them from sliding off your eyelids. Eyeliner. Lots of eyeliner.

I recently came across this Big Blink mascara by Pur Minerals at the suggestion of the sales consultant at my local Ulta. GoodGuide doesn't have it in any product rankings, but it gets a relatively benign '2' rating from EWG. I use the term loosely because the rating is based on limited data, even though the EWG report lists all the ingredients provided on the product label. 

Ulta sells both the full size product ($20) and a smaller trial size for $10, which I thought was a good way to try it out without being stuck with something I don't really like. It also seemed like a good way to actually use up most of the mascara before it turns rank (which, even though I wear mascara nearly every day, happens to nearly every tube. Total conspiracy.)

Ok, let's do this. The mascara is marketed heavily for its use of Argan oil. Am I the only one who doesn't care about that? Sounds like a gimmick to me. But the brush/wand thingy was a real selling point for me. It's a cool-looking silicon thing with really short bristles. Very different from the classic mascara wand most of us grew up watching our mothers and big sisters using.

So I apply one coat and it's really smooth. Maybe that Argan oil isn't such a gimmick. Goes on evenly but lightly, not clumpy or heavy-feeling. And when I'm done, what do I see? Long, sweeping lashes. Separated, slightly curled, ready for major eye-batting.

Big Blink also has going for it the fact that it's not tested on animals, but this mascara is NOT waterproof. Me, I like that because it's easy to remove. Some of you may not like that, because the slightest bit of moisture will mean streaking, 80s style. 

I love it. I've used it nearly every day since buying it for just the right amount of lash definition and accentuation -- without looking like a Kardashian. So if you're looking for a new mascara and have the chance to pick up some Big Blink, go for it. You won't be disappointed.

-- Jazzy

1 comment:

  1. Nice review. I miss Max Factor 1000 calorie!! That was a great, inexpensive mascara. They don't sell it in the US anymore. I recently bought Big Blink. Argan Oil is especially nice. I use it on my hair and face But who knows if there is enough of it in this mascara to actually nourish our lashes. the SA commented that she uses it and the tube has not dried out like some tend to do. So, I am hopeful. Just one correction, you wouldn't get stuck with the mascara if you didn't like it. Ulta has a good return policy.

    ReplyDelete

Here at SMACK! we value decorum nearly as much as chemical-free living. Thanks in advance for keeping your comments clean and civilized!