Thursday, January 9, 2014

Healthy nails

Last month (last year!) I tried out nail color from Zoya, bringing it to my local nail salon for a spa pedi. You can read my review here. It still looks great! But my hands, they are in sh*t shape from the last gel manicure I had. The polish came off easily enough, but my nails are breaking and snagging super easily, no matter how short I keep them. Coincidence?

I bring it up because of this article in the San Francisco Chronicle, about the health of Bay area nail salons (and their workers and patrons). Once again California is showing up the other 49 with a program that encourages nail salons to use different products and practices that benefit the health of workers and customers alike. 

The Healthy Nail Salon Recognition Program, launched last year through Alameda County's Dept. of Environmental Health, gives the county's some 350 nail salons -- and about 1,000 manicurists employed by them -- a program for eliminating the toxic chemicals found in [too] many nail products.

If you're in that area, hit up Leann's Nails in Alameda. The salon was featured in the article and was publicly recognized by county officials for its participation in the program. Business owner Lan-Anh Truong gets it, too. She told the Chronicle, "Being in a healthy nail salon is good for my staff, good for my customers, good for my environment."

See? Win-win for everyone.

Now, remember that New Year's resolution about using your voice? Here's a great way to do it! Take this idea to your local officials. Use this article to show them that IT WORKS. Make the case that all the salon workers (go through the phone book and tally up the number of nail salons in your area, if you have to) and customers shouldn't be exposed to the 'Five' toxic chemicals found in traditional nail polish. That's real change.

Your favorite rabble-rouser,
Jazzy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Here at SMACK! we value decorum nearly as much as chemical-free living. Thanks in advance for keeping your comments clean and civilized!