Thursday, August 8, 2013

SMACK! Reviews: Everyday Coconut Daily Face Lotion

Has it really been two weeks without a product review? Well, in that case...

I came across this lotion a many moons ago during a splurge trip to Whole Foods. I say splurge because even though I did really need each item I bought (hair color, eye makeup removing wipes and this lotion), I didn't take the time to see if the local health food store had better prices or better items. It was more about the instant gratification, so whatever. The original post about that shopping trip is here.



I'll take the opportunity now to also share my experience using EWG's 'Make Your Own Report' feature for their Skin Deep cosmetics database. Have you used it yet?

See, Everyday Coconut doesn't have any products in the database. No matter, I filled out all the forms, copied and pasted the ingredients from Everyday Coconut's website and voila! My own report, which rated this product as a 2 (on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being super effing toxic, don't set foot near this product).

Here's what I like about Everyday Coconut Daily Face Lotion: the SPF, of course, in the form of zinc oxide. It's not greasy. The short ingredient list, most of which I can pronounce. The light scent, which actually ISN'T heavy on the coconut. A touch of lavender oil balances out the sweet coconut, with the result a clean, fresh scent. Nicely done.

After checking out the EC website, I was also impressed with the transparency of their marketing. Here's what our stuff is made from. Here's why we exist (to empower impoverished African communities using local, sustainable resources). Here's why Coconut Oil rocks.

Sounds a lot different than the highbrow meaningless drivel I read over at Unilever. Corporate Giant could actually learn a thing or two from little grassroots company. Imagine that! 

The lotion, given all its natural ingredients, has a tendency to separate. An easy shake takes care of that, but I mention it because I know there are some of you out there who would forget and think the lotion's rancid or something because it pumps out grainy and weird.

It's a decent price, under $10 for a nice 12-ounce pump. I end up using not just on my face but my shoulders and neckline, too. Considering what I paid for a 7 oz bottle of sunscreen, this is pretty good.

My biggest beef with this product is that it isn't all that...moisturizing. I mean, I really like a lighter product for summertime use (my face sweats easily) but this just a little too light. As in my dry skin still feels dry after it's all absorbed. I wish it was a little more emollient, but I suppose that's the tradeoff for not having a bunch of nasty chemicals...

SMACK! Grade:  B

PS -- if you want to try any products from Everyday Coconut, buy directly here. Ten percent of their sales goes to projects that reduce poverty and empower women in West Africa. Bonus!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Here at SMACK! we value decorum nearly as much as chemical-free living. Thanks in advance for keeping your comments clean and civilized!