Thursday, August 15, 2013

Imperfect Environmentalist

I'm adding a new book to SMACK!'s Book Corner, The Imperfect Environmentalist by Sara Gilbert (Ballentine, 2013). You 90s folks will recognize her as Darlene Connor from the sit-com Roseanne, and now she's a host on CBS' The Talk

The book just dropped this week, and with it Gilbert is extending her reach beyond television, into that nefarious land of 'influence' and 'inspiration.' Think Gwyneth Paltrow minus a few layers of snobbery.

Now before I come off sounding like a crusty beeyotch, let me say this: the concept of the book is really great. Smarter consumerism. Greener choices, for the sake of our own health and that of the environment. Sounds familiar, no?

I peeked at the book on Amazon, and very nearly bought the Kindle version, until I saw that it was $4 MORE than the paperback. *#!?! How can that be, a book about environmentalism that is priced to encourage more purchases of the paper copies?? Or maybe (and this is actually worse to consider), Gilbert's publishers are courting that segment of the readership that ONLY takes books on a tablet or e-reader. Real books are sooooo middle class!

In any event, the book looks well organized, in a format that aims to be the reader's 'quick-reference' to different consumer segments, ranging from food to cosmetics to even furniture and utilities.

Gilbert's introduction makes the point that the average consumer is just too busy to consider all the facts behind the decisions of healthier living. I'll give her that, and I'll add to it the idea that Big Corporate Giants (Wal-Mart, P&G, et al) market their products as filling perceived needs (anti-aging is a good example) that end up prioritized before living green. 

Did that make any sense? Let me put it this way: no woman is going to give up her favorite eye cream (or shampoo, lotion, whatever) no matter how much you tell her it's toxic. Because she's putting the want (and perceived need) for that product before any consideration to what it does to her health (laughable when you consider how many cosmetics are marketed as part of your daily health regimen). Cleaner alternatives are key here, so that consumers still get what they want.

I haven't read the book yet. I want to, though, to see what Gilbert's take is on changing consumer buying habits and the such. Of course I'll report my thoughts here. If you beat me to it, let me know what you think!

-- Jazzy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Here at SMACK! we value decorum nearly as much as chemical-free living. Thanks in advance for keeping your comments clean and civilized!