Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Method doesn't make the grade

I love the Method brand of household cleaning products...that is, until now.

I was wooed and won over years ago by the great packaging, the witty and smart product messaging. The French translation didn't hurt, either, since I'm a bit of a sucker for such things. It was one of the first instances where I justified the added expense of something that [seemed like it] was environmentally friendlier.

Except that Method isn't. Maybe this isn't news to you, for which I'm glad. But I just yesterday was perusing EWG's Guide to Healthy Cleaning and decided to check out some of my favorite products. Of the 57 results that EWG has listed in its database for Method products, only 18 of them take a passing grade (products are graded, A through F).

Disappointed? I know I am. I want to take a closer look so that I know what I'm buying and how I need to adjust my choices the next time I'm stocking up. Some versions of products are better than others, while some just. completely. fail.

As for those fave Method products with which I have to break up, I will miss them. But I know I'm better off going without than sticking with something that's no good for me.

Vinegar to the rescue! What are some of your favorite 'green' cleaners?

-- Jazzy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Here at SMACK! we value decorum nearly as much as chemical-free living. Thanks in advance for keeping your comments clean and civilized!