Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Cleaner clean

A few weeks ago I hit up Method for not making products that live up to their non-toxic claims (original post here). In most of the Method products that get sucky grades from EWG (their Healthy Cleaning Guide of about 2,000 products is totally searchable! Check. It. Out.), too much fragrance is the main problem.

So when I ran out of my previously favorite purple Method all-purpose spray cleaner, I wanted to choose something that really was non-toxic. The kitchen is the heart of a home, as they say, where the members of a household converge -- that's my nice way of saying everyone brings all their junk into the kitchen always while I'm trying to cook -- so there's no place for harsh chemical cleaners.

Murphy's Law -- my phone died while I was running errands and I had to wing it to choose a new all-purpose cleaner. I had planned to pull up EWG's Healthy Cleaning Guide right there in the store aisle. Nope. 

Speaking of searching EWG's ratings, isn't their mobile app supposed to launch like any day now? The website still says it's "Coming this September" but there are only a few business days left to the month. I signed up for email notification and haven't heard anything, other than a few letters requesting donations...ahhh, empty promises...

Back to cleaners. I really was blind, trying to decipher the different label claims and analyze ingredient lists. I decided on a spray cleaner from Seventh Generation (the Disinfecting Multi-Surface Cleaner, Lemongrass & Thyme scent), for really no  strong reason. I may as well have closed my eyes and chosen whichever product my hand touched first.

Back at the ranch I looked up my purchase to see how it ranked. Nope.  'D'. Definitely no better than the grades for the Method product (ranges from 'C' to 'F' depending on how old the formulation is). Frustrating, for trying to be an educated consumer (without access to the right information) isn't working.

I need that app!

What do you use for kitchen cleaners? Anyone do the whole vinegar and hot water thing? Let me know!

-- Jazzy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Here at SMACK! we value decorum nearly as much as chemical-free living. Thanks in advance for keeping your comments clean and civilized!