Monday, October 7, 2013

Movie night

Holy weekend Batman! I feel like I've been run over by a truck.

But it's Monday. My favorite part of the week, when I regroup from the chaos of the weekend and settle into the calming task of plotting out my week. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh....

Today we're talking about Sean Penn's film, The Human Experiment. I've never seen it in him (I'm no ScarJo, after all) but I sure am glad he's using his celebrity to bring some attention to this issue, THE issue, that we so care about here at SMACK!

Here's the trailer:



ABCNews.com gave the movie some nice press in advance of its premiere Sunday at the Mill Valley Film Festival in California. I think I love that the film's directors, Emmy Award winners Dana Nachman and Don Hardy, are journalists AND filmmakers. It's a passion project, for sure. I mean, who wants to tackle such a large, nebulous, vague issue? Most days I feel overwhelmed just trying to learn about the chemicals in our daily household products, let alone writing about them.

So this movie is going on a 'required viewing' list for SMACK! readers. It may take a while, since community screenings don't start until 2014, but let's all agree to see it if the opportunity arises, okay? 

In the meantime, I'm going to be combing through the list of recommended, 'greener' alternative products that the film is pushing on Vine.com. You can also check out the "Toxic of the Month" club over at the film's website to learn more about making better choices at the store to avoid exposure to harmful chemicals. This month's chemical is triclosan, most commonly found in anti-bacterial hand soap nearly everything. We haven't covered triclosan in any SMACK! posts because, like I said, I overwhelm pretty easily, especially in the face of all this information about chemicals and exposure risks.

I encourage everyone to watch for community screenings of The Human Experiment, and to find ways (even small ones) to reduce the chemical exposure in your daily lives. Your body will thank you for it!!

-- Jazzy


No comments:

Post a Comment

Here at SMACK! we value decorum nearly as much as chemical-free living. Thanks in advance for keeping your comments clean and civilized!