Thursday, October 10, 2013

Arsenic & Old Lace

Have you seen this news from the FDA, that it's finally decided arsenic ISN'T such a good thing in our food supply? The New York Times reported last week that the FDA has pulled approval for 3 of 4 drugs (all containing arsenic) commonly used in poultry and pig feeds. Mmm, mmm, mmm!!

There almost are no words...but don't worry, I'll find some and use them.

It may take a few minutes.

Or a bit longer...

Actually, I am just at a total loss here. Arsenic. In my chicken. Here I am, trying to make good choices, to eat healthier, leaner proteins to go with my colorful veggies, and...arsenic.

Needless to say, this story is just a field day for conspiracy theorists (so few in number that they are on the Internet). An article from NPR back in May framed out a lot of the context to the issue, the pharma companies involved, why it matters. I found it very helpful to learning  how all this came to be. But I'm still pretty much dumbfounded by the whole thing.

So naive, Jazzy. So. Naive.

There was a line about organic chicken not being an issue, I guess because organic poultry farms don't use poison in their animal feeds. What a wild idea!!

Suffice it to say that I will be buying organic meats whenever possible for now on. Arsenic is NOT welcome at my dinner table.

Yours in better eating,
Jazzy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Here at SMACK! we value decorum nearly as much as chemical-free living. Thanks in advance for keeping your comments clean and civilized!