Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Mirror, mirror

I have a distinct memory of the first time I thought a beauty ad was complete bullsh*t. I was 21 (in case you're wondering how long I've been a cynical beeyotch, well, a LONG time). Flipping through some fashion magazine, I saw an ad for a national brand featuring a well-known actress/celebrity type. This was back when 'endorsement' wasn't a four-letter word. So whatever, here's this actress from Party of Buffy the Dawson's something-or-other show, shilling some wrinkle cream or similar nonsense.  

My reaction was immediate and STRONG. Because whoever the actress/celebrity endorser was (and I can't for the life of me remember), she was just 20 years old. Right? How, HOW, can a woman younger than me effectively sell me something that clearly neither of us need?!?!?!

Full stop there, Jazzy. You promised, no rants. Right, right. Not going there, I swear. It's actually a relevant story to some news I saw last week over at cosmeticsdesign.com.


Last week the site covered the findings of NPD Group's latest Women's Skincare In-Depth Consumer Report, which is claiming that 39% of Gen Ys are already concerned about anti-aging. The news story is here, and NPD's original press release here.

These women are between the ages of 25 and 34 (also, the holy grail of demographics). Still settling into their adult lives, but already looking a little too critically at their reflections. According to NPD's research, they use an average of three skincare products daily. And it's not enough.

At the risk of regurgitating NPD's message, here's what their talking head had to say about this market trend: 

“Open to learning, reachable, and seeking solutions, Gen Y women are a critical age group for skincare marketers to target now, as they are beginning to develop skincare regimens that are likely to follow them throughout the rest of their lives,”

Where's the fine line (no pun intended) between wanting to take care of your skin and feeling comfortable in the skin you have? Where does the perceived need to 'fight aging' come from? 

I promised I wouldn't rant, so I'll quit while I'm ahead. But I want that to sink in a little, that the folks behind the beauty ads are exploiting the insecurities of consumers. All because we're worth it.

-- Jazzy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Here at SMACK! we value decorum nearly as much as chemical-free living. Thanks in advance for keeping your comments clean and civilized!