Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Sticky Fingers

Our first non-cosmetic post, in a new category: household products.

I spend a lot of time on Pinterest. I suffered a lot of sleeplessness in the weeks following surgery last winter, and Pinterest was a nice, easy way to keep my mind relaxed. Who knew I'd find inspiration for SMACK! there as well!

That's just what happened the other day when I saw a pin for Elmer's School Glue Naturals. Of course it piqued my curiosity, now that I am completely skeptical about the label claims on consumer products.


Isn't Elmer's already non-toxic? This new school glue was announced back in early April, so I checked out the original press release:

...Elmer's Products, Inc., makers of America's favorite school glue, is proud to introduce Elmer's School Glue Naturals, the first and only school glue made with naturally occurring ingredients and available in recycled packaging.

Elmer's pourable School Glue Naturals consists of 99 percent natural ingredients. The primary ingredient in the adhesive is plants, specifically American-grown corn--a rapidly renewable resource. The bottle is made from 25 percent post-consumer recycled materials and the label contains 20 percent recycled paper, is printed with soy-based ink and is applied with a natural rubber adhesive.

So what is original Elmer's made of? Isn't the packaging already recyclable? Makes me remember spreading a thin coat the glue on my hands, letting it dry, and then peeling it off. You did it, too, right?

In any event, this definitely warrants another post, possibly a trip to the craft store and product review for some better information. We'll see if Elmer's is actually producing a safer version of their popular school glue or just trying to stick it to us with a new label and higher price tag...

In the meantime, don't sniff the glue!
-- Jazzy