Tuesday, April 8, 2014

SMACK! Reviews: Better Life What-EVER! Natural All-Purpose Cleaner

Sorry for the way too wordy post title. That's how we title product reviews here, and, well, the product name is just. so. long.

One thing I've learned about myself as I enter middle age is that I really like my spray cleaners. Like, to me, the kitchen's not clean unless I've sprayed everything down and cleaned it with hot water (with those great Trader Joe's Super Amazing Kitchen Cloths. Save the trees!).

I used to be a big fan of Method, but I wasn't happy with the ratings that some of the products get from EWG and GoodGuide. Also, the more I learn about fragrance, the more I realize that good-smelling cleaning products aren't always all that healthy for you and your home. So I took a break from Method and have been trying out different spray cleaners. You all haven't heard much about this because frankly, I haven't found one that's worth writing home about, if you know what I mean.

But here's one I like. Better Life's What-EVER! Natural All-Purpose Cleaner comes in a 32 oz spray bottle. The cute pictures on the front label show me I can use it in the bathroom, in my car and even when I'm skiing. The fine print on the back label tells me that it's a plant-based, biodegradable formula that's gluten-free and made in the USA. I bought the Clary Sage Citrus scent and went to town spraying all different surfaces in my house.

The scent is really nice. Definitely more fruity than floral, but not that fake cloying orange scent that makes me think of the roses in Hunger Games. Very light. Great for this time of year, when I want to things to be fresh and clean smelling. It's too soon for the heady, drunken flowery scents of high summer. If you prefer, there's an unscented version.

The spray bottle works perfectly. Believe it or not, this is still an issue for some companies. And I find it never more annoying than when the one thing you're selling doesn't work. I don't care how great your cleaner is, if it's in a crap spray bottle that doesn't dispense, the whole thing's a giant fail.

The cleaner itself works great. I use it in the kitchen, in the bathroom, on wood. Seems gentle but effective. Even a little soapy. Plenty of water on your washrag takes care of that. No greasy or filmy weirdness, just clean surfaces. Perfect.

The price leaves a bit to be desired. I paid $4.49 for this bottle at my local Whole Foods. Amazon sells it for more than $6 each, and list price on the Better Life website is a whopping $7.99!! Seriously? I raise this issue because all too often the healthier products are also the more expensive ones, which shuts out folks who really can't spend $5-10 on a natural kitchen cleaner when the 300-oz jug of PineSol is $1.99 at WalMart. It's not right.

So I really like this spray cleaner, and want to recommend it. But I'm determined to find something that's green AND affordable. I don't think that in this day and age, that's be too much to ask.

Yours,
Jazzy


No comments:

Post a Comment

Here at SMACK! we value decorum nearly as much as chemical-free living. Thanks in advance for keeping your comments clean and civilized!