Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Blurry

I'm suffering some confusion about the goings on in the movement to remove toxic chemicals from cosmetic and personal products.

See, last week I tried to put together some analysis of the one-day "Mind the Store" effort to get supporters their local brick-and-mortar Walgreens stores to speak up about the issue and return a varied number of products. Groups in nearly 50 different U.S. cities participated in what amounted to hometown publicity stunts.

While I thought the whole effort was pretty well played, I've been trying to track resulting perceptions. After all, we live in a world driven by the Internet and social media, making for The. Worst. EVER. games of 'telephone' since the game was invented. Did the grassroots effort have the intended impact on news coverage? 

That's the thing -- the news wasn't easy to find. Especially not when I inadvertently searched for the events using the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics instead of Safer Chemicals, Healthy Families. Oops.

But wait -- it seems that both groups were involved in last week's 'Mind the Store' thing. Naturally my next question is how the groups are related, how they came to work together. I'm determined to find out, if for no other reason than to reduce the headache of keeping them all straight when I browse my newsfeed.

I'm still trying to track down all the media coverage from the Walgreens events. Doesn't help that the SCHF website has been down since last week. I think what I find most curious is that the group selfies posted on Facebook may very well have more value or impact here than the actual real news coverage.

Not much by way of analysis, is it? Third time's a charm?

-- Jazzy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Here at SMACK! we value decorum nearly as much as chemical-free living. Thanks in advance for keeping your comments clean and civilized!