Monday, February 3, 2014

Super Amazing Reusable Kitchen Cloths: Part 3

A couple weeks ago I wrote this post and this post about Trader Joe's Super Amazing Reusable Kitchen Cloths. I've been using them and wanted to let you know my thoughts.

In short, I like them. So I bought another package of them. Really, they're just rags, but they are super absorbent and seem to handle tough scrubbing. The reusable part is what did it for me; it helps reconcile too many years of using too many rolls of paper towels. Now, as we learned, viscose is made from wood pulp, so we are still killing some trees. But I tell myself that it's got to be fewer trees than what paper towels do.

Word to the wise: don't put these things in the dryer. They are hearty as the day is long, but really not made for heated drying. 
Went through the dryer, and now looks like Yoda it does...

Oops.

(Note to self: never, ever put rayon clothing in the dryer)

That doesn't seem to be a permanent condition, though. One good soak and then laying the rag flat to air dry seems to give it back something resembling its original shape. If I remember correctly, this technique is calling 'blocking' and is used for all kinds of knits. I believe something like this appeared in my mother's "Hints from Heloise" booklet. Yes, I'm that old.

I imagine most of you don't hem and haw over what you use to wipe up your counters, but I'll still recommend the product just the same. Even if the chemical load of these rags is the same as paper towels, less waste is never a bad thing.

Yours, in elbow-length kitchen gloves,
Jazzy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Here at SMACK! we value decorum nearly as much as chemical-free living. Thanks in advance for keeping your comments clean and civilized!