Tuesday, February 4, 2014

The case for consignment

Quickie post that I've had in the queue and want to finish up.

It started out as a random idea I had while cleaning out a couple overstuffed closets in my house. And while pondering my down coat which has lost the will to zip. And also while harboring a silly but real yearning for a pair of penny loafers (welcome to my shoe problem).

Buying new things. The retail industry is built on consumers' needs to keep buying new items. Some things must be replaced without question; toothbrushes and dull razors come to mind. Other things we replace because they wear out or we outgrow them.

What of the second life of clothing and shoes? I am a big fan of donating the older, out-of-style pieces of my wardrobe, because they are still in good condition. So many great organizations use donations of nicer, career clothing to help less fortunate men and women get back on their feet.

But the benefits of second-hand items aren't just for folks with smaller bank accounts. Remember, clothing manufacturers finish textiles with a horrifying amount of harsh chemicals. So we wash before wearing. But if we do that anyway, aren't we better off with garments that have more washes under their belts?

Uh, Jazzy, that's not always a great idea. Because underwear. Totally. Some things aren't negotiable. But other things are. Now, I'm not suggesting we all start wearing used everything, but I would like you to consider your shopping habits to see if second-hand items have a place in your life. Does a new sweater have to be brand new? Or could you find a nice, gently-worn one on eBay?

It's easy from where I sit, because my washer and dryer have steam settings to sanitize nearly anything. But moreover I want us to consider WHY we need to buy brand new things, and how that need developed. 

Food for thought the next time you're in the market for a new pair of jeans, or something to freshen your Spring wardrobe.

Yours,
Jazzy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Here at SMACK! we value decorum nearly as much as chemical-free living. Thanks in advance for keeping your comments clean and civilized!