Thursday, May 15, 2014

Olay Stories

Have you seen Olay's latest campaign? #OlayStories. Olay's put the whole thing on Pinterest, of all places. I am loathe to keep shining a spotlight on companies/ads/products that are misleading and borderline dishonest, but I suppose we have to do that to find the man behind the curtain.

Olay is playing up big time the 'everywoman beauty' as it has for a few years now. Great. But the new campaign takes it up a notch by featuring, as its first "Best Beautiful" story, skin cancer survivor Hillary. Her personal story, along with professionally-shot video and portraits, are the launchpad of this campaign.

On its face, I don't disagree with it. I am thrilled to see a company buck the trend of using one version of today's woman as the only version. But that's pretty much where my admiration for #OlayStories ends.

Turns out that the campaign is no different than Revlon's breast cancer awareness campaigns. Both companies are using cancer as a marketing tool. It's gross and irresponsible.

Hear me out. Olay is touting specific products as spokeswoman Hillary's 'beauty regimen' -- without regard to the fact that these products contain harmful chemicals. Revlon did the same thing with the series of ads featuring actress Emma Stone and her mother, a breast cancer survivor.

For kicks and giggles, I looked up 'Hillary's favorite' -- Olay's Total Effects 7-in-one anti-aging moisturizer with sunscreen. Parabens, check. Avobenzone, check. Oxybenzone, check. I feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall.

Used to be that the endorsement of a celebrity was all a company needed to sell its cosmetics. Nowadays, the endorsement of a cancer survivor has so much more weight. Is that right? What's the message here? 'She's just like you, only she made it through what was probably the most horrific experience of her life. And now she's choosing our products, so you should, too.'

How much is Hillary being paid for this gig? I'm not saying that to be flip. I'm really curious. Consumers are hip to how much celebrities are paid for their endorsements -- potentially loads more than their actual vocation -- so how do the companies handle their deals with regulars like us?

Look, I don't like sh*tting on a fellow survivor, who probably more than anything wants to raise awareness for skin protection, and I don't fault her for getting caught up in Olay's smoke and mirrors. That said, I will NOT overlook or ignore instances of cosmetics companies exploiting cancer survivorship as a means to push their crap products. Olay, until you clean up your products, consider yourself on my sh*t list.

Righteously indignant,
Jazzy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Here at SMACK! we value decorum nearly as much as chemical-free living. Thanks in advance for keeping your comments clean and civilized!