Monday, November 18, 2013

Finally!

Better late than never! It's here -- the long-anticipated, only-two-months-overdue Skin Deep app...hooray!!

Click here for the Apple version, and here for the Android version. 

I got the email from Ken Cook at EWG on Saturday. Downloaded it immediately. And then promptly ordered my dinner companions to do the same. Here are some screen shots:



 

What do you think? Here are my thoughts:

I like the barcode scan feature. I also like the familiarity to the Web-based Skin Deep database. Job well done, translating the database to a mobile, small-screen interface.

There are also some things I don't like. The app is...simple. By that, I don't mean easy to use (though it is, which is good). I mean that it really only does one thing. By comparison, the GoodGuide and Think Dirty apps are much more dynamic, whether by providing links to purchase the products you've searched or by recommending comparable products or by letting you submit products that aren't included in their databases. Those apps are much more interactive, making the consumer/app user a true contributor to the process.

Maybe I'm just an impatient clam who has too high expectations. I have to remember the app is new and they're still working out the kinks. I have to be patient as I continue to navigate the app and get to know its functionality better. And the best way for that to happen is with continued use.

What makes me SO glad is that consumers can finally feel prepared to make the informed, safer purchases they want to make. That's a great way to start the week.

-- Jazzy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Here at SMACK! we value decorum nearly as much as chemical-free living. Thanks in advance for keeping your comments clean and civilized!