Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Bad Hair Days



Who remembers these guys? 




Monchhichi, Monchhichi
Oh so soft and cuddly

OMG, I had like, a whole family of these things and I LOVED them. Really. 

So fast forward a few decades to when my hair is finally growing back after chemo and what do I see when I look in the mirror? Mmm, that’s right, a Monchhichi. Not so cute anymore. And definitely not the look I’m going for.

Get this girl some hair gel, stat!

Except, like, I’ve never used hair gel. And I’m now scared to put weird sh*t on my skin. What do I buy?! Environmental Working Group and my smart phone saved the day. I hit the local Whole Foods and found a great selection of hair products that rate really, really low (meaning fewer toxic ingredients) on EWG’s Skin Deep database. There were even testers of each product -- bonus!

I bought two Giovanni products (see below), and I’ll review them in their own post once we get product reviews up and running. 



My hair has still seen better days, but at least it’s under control while it grows out. More Charlize Theron, less Chia Pet.

The point here -- there ARE choices. Some are more expensive, some are cheaper than what you usually buy, but they’re out there. And if you don’t see what you want at your favorite stores, ASK. Request that the retailer order what you’re looking for because what’s on the shelf is unsafe. If a retailer wants your money, they will honor your request in a courteous, professional manner. If they won’t, send a complaint letter through the corporate Website and find a store that will.

Yours in furry cuteness,
Jazzy