Thursday, March 13, 2014

Trash day

We recycle a lot in our house. It's something I'm especially proud of, when on pickup day the trash bin has just a couple bags in it but the recycle bin is positively overflowing and I'm putting out paper bags next to it filled with even more recyclables. 

In this week's collection, some old cosmetics that I found as I try to get a jump start on some spring cleaning. Can I call it spring purging?



All this came just from a basket on my bathroom counter. No joke, some of that stuff goes back to the late 80s. Like my first-ever blush and a Clinique lipstick that's rusty. Gross. 

I still have to go through my entire vanity, where two bigger plastic storage bins are filled with even more crap that I hardly ever used, even before I knew how toxic some of it is. I won't lie -- it was hugely satisfying and cathartic to pitch the stuff. A small act that helps me simplify my life, helps me keep my body a smidge healthier.

I absolutely encourage you to expand whatever your spring cleaning rituals are to include what you use in your daily routines. Think about how many steps you take to ready yourself, how many products you use. Is there a better way? Are there better products? What's in that eye shadow I've been using since 2005? Can I use a gentler body wash? Do I really need 17 lipsticks?

Even cleaning out one small drawer or cabinet will make a huge difference. See, it's not just getting rid of the stuff, but the change in thinking that brings on real results. You can do it!

Yours in parsing down,
Jazzy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Here at SMACK! we value decorum nearly as much as chemical-free living. Thanks in advance for keeping your comments clean and civilized!